You may be landing here because you’re trying to find out or understand how to retarget visitors from your website on Facebook. A more intermediate to advanced marketer who executes most likely already knows how to do this because most digital strategies if not all include a remarketing strategy on Facebook and Instagram. But, if you never did it or trying to understand the best way to do it, this article is hopefully going to guide you. I will try to make it as simple as possible and cut through most of the clutter.
I’m seeing really good success now at using Facebook as capturing demand channel as prospecting became extremely expensive. You can have a balance of both but really depends what your goal is in using the platform to capture sales. This is the more effective strategy to have a good return on ad spend and balancing your customer acqusition costs.
THE DIFFERENT WAYS OF REMARKETING / RETARGETING ON FACEBOOK / INSTAGRAM
So, when think a retargeting strategy, most would say its quite simple, and it can be. However, effective retargeting strategies can include various ways of targeting visitors from a website on paid social.
- Retarget visitors / audience by page: This includes setting up audiences on Facebook by pages visitors visited on your page. For example, if someone read a specific blog post or landed on a specific landing page, you can retarget that visitor with a specific ad creative and ad copy thats related to that page to keep taking them down the funnel.
- Retargeting audience by video views: If you run video ads on Facebook / Instagram, you can retarget video watchers by different metrics, for example, a cohort of people that watches at-least 3 seconds of a video may show interest and show them a retargeted ad with the product.
Currently, those are my two best performing strategies of retargeting on Facebook.
HOW TO SET UP RETARGETING AUDIENCES ON FACEBOOK
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT AD CREATIVES TO USE RETARGETING / REMARKETING ON FACEBOOK / INSTAGRAM?
When it comes to creative, the most effective thing you can do is TEST. I really mean that. Everything varies case by case and you never know what creative, ad size, ad placement, etc, will work best for YOUR business. Don’t take the word of any one digital marketing so-called-guru or ‘professional’ tell you what works best. Do it yourself.
Here are my tips and what works best for me.
- Placement: Choose the default ALL placements when it comes to choosing where your ad is being shown. Facebook still does a pretty good job at showing your ads in places more likely to convert than you telling it where you want to show the ad. Plus, it’s also cheaper – I’ve seen better results.
- Creatives: I really like carousel ads to showcase products or videos on how to or product reviews from user generated content. Again, I can’t stress enough that ultimately, you just need to test a few different formats to see what works best for YOU.
- Ad Copy: Retargeting means you’re down the funnel already and the prospect isn’t cold. Close the sale with a good offer or simply remind the consumer why they need your product and how it differs than the competitors they’ve most likely looked at.
I would definitely recommend using DYNAMIC PRODUCT ADS that showcase the last products a consumer was checking out. This is a great opportunity to also place strong ad copy with strong value propositions to close the sale.