“EMAIL MARKETING IS DEAD….and if you believe that, you’re an idiot.”
2021 is right around the corner. As digital marketers, we deal with the fastest moving landscape always in search of the new trend to jump on looking for more traffic to ultimately convert that to leads and/or sales.
As we near the end of the Black Friday / Cyber Monday, going through my channels of advertising, email is still king and yields the best conversion rates.
“While email is highly efficient, it has never gotten the lion’s share of attention around the boardroom,” said Ross Kramer, CEO of marketing automation platform Listrak, reports eMarketer.
They continue by saying, “Many marketing budgets saw cutbacks in response to the pandemic and economic downturn, though many organizations continued to invest in email as a channel. According to a June 2020 survey by Ugam, a Merkle company, 51% of marketers at major US and UK brands said that their email marketing spending increased, and just 16% of respondents reported a decrease. In fact, the only channels which saw higher response rates were chat features (56%) and mobile app functionality (55%).”
Email marketing needs to be a core focus for any e-commerce business. If you don’t have proven strategies to capture email leads from consumers on your website, I would stop everything and make that a top-of-the-list priority.
Aside from email leads capture from customers, building out what you can call drip campaigns or flows on platforms such as Klavio is critical to email marketing success. A drip or flow can be anything from cart abandonment sequences to what happens when someone is viewing a specific item on your website and what email will trigger for that consumer.
I can keep writing about the importance and impact of email marketing but this picture can be best painted by providing some great stats! Source: Hubspot
General Email Marketing Statistics and Best Practices
- There are 3.9 billion daily email users. This number is expected to climb to 4.3 billion by 2023. (Statista, 2020)
- Active email accounts surpassed 5.6 billion in 2019. (Statista, 2019)
- Marketers who use segmented campaigns note as much as a 760% increase in revenue. (Campaign Monitor, 2019)
- 35% of marketers send their customers 3-5 emails per week. (Not Another State of Marketing, 2020)
- 78% of marketers have seen an increase in email engagement over the last 12 months (Not Another State of Marketing, 2020)
- 31% of B2B marketers say email newsletters are the best way to nurture leads. (Content Marketing Institute, 2020)
- The U.S. spent over 350 million dollars on email advertising in 2019. (Statista, 2019)
Mobile Email Marketing Statistics
- Mobile opens accounted for 46 percent of all email opens. (Litmus.com, 2018)
- 35% of business professionals check email on a mobile device. (Convince & Convert, 2018)
- Apple iPhone is the most popular mobile client for reading emails with 29 percent of all opens occurring on this platform. Gmail is a close runner-up at 27 percent (Campaign Monitor, 2018)
B2C Email Marketing Statistics
- 80% of business professionals believe that email marketing increases customer retention. (Emarsys, 2018)
- 59% of respondents say marketing emails influence their purchase decisions. (SaleCycle, 2018)
- The most opened emails relate to hobbies, with an open rate of 27.35 percent. (MailChimp, 2018)
- 59% of marketers say email is their biggest source of ROI. (Emma, 2018)